It is helpful to understand that your dog’s allergies cannot be cured, but they can usually successfully be treated and managed. Aside from staying well away from the allergen, there are many types of treatments, including oral medication, bath, topical medicine, and even injection of antigenic therapy. The best dog insurance sorts out the expenses for you.
Prescribing the correct allergy medication for a dog highly depends on the dog’s symptoms, the severity of symptoms, and any pre-existing medical conditions. Most of the allergies can be contained with constant vet support and medications. Pet health insurance will come in handy in such cases, to help with the testing then the ongoing medical care.
Dog allergies may involve one or more of the following therapies:
- Anti-inflammatory therapy: Treats dog allergies with anti-inflammatory medications or, in most cases, antihistamines that can quickly block allergic reactions. Food and dietary supplements include the use of selective protein diets and fatty acid supplements.
- Nutritional therapy: Some dogs are allergic to certain foods. Sometimes, omega Tri-fatty acids can help improve the dog’s response to steroids and antihistamines.
- Antipruritic therapy includes antihistamines, corticosteroids, and a new drug called Apoquel. It specifically targets the itch response by blocking irritation.
- Shampoo therapy: Bathing can be beneficial in removing antigens the dog has been exposed to and can also remove dead skin cells and help treat secondary infections such as fungi and bacteria. Some therapeutic shampoos contain anti-inflammatory ingredients that can further benefit your dog.
- Hypoallergenic therapy: It helps if a specific allergen is identified through an allergy test, the dog can be injected with an anti-allergy injection. This allergy medicine for dogs involves injecting minimal amounts of antigen each week. Repeated administration helps to reprogram or desensitize the dog’s immune system.
Find out which drugs do not suit your dog and be aware of the other methods of dog allergies treatment. Either way, if your dog has allergies please make an appointment with your veterinarian immediately. Every allergy case is distinct and must be dealt with according to the specific situation. And f there are any complications, take refuge from the best pet insurance that assures your pet quality medical treatment.
Pet health insurance policies can help you pay for veterinary treatment and medical expenses when your pet is injured or sick. Insurance policies can vary significantly in cost, what is covered and what is not.
If you are not sure whether pet health insurance is worthwhile, consider how you would deal with unexpected bills. The cost may vary depending on the treatment and your location, but it can reach hundreds or even thousands of AUDs.
It would be best if you balanced this and the cost of your premiums with the possibility of you making a claim. Is your pet immune to medical conditions and accidents? Whether pet health insurance is worth buying depends on many factors. Most insurance policies are for cats and dogs, and it is easy to find the best pet insurance company for these animals.
You can also get insurance for small mammals such as gerbils, rabbits, guinea pigs, etc. But their short lifespan means that it is not necessarily good value for money. Exotic pets, such as lizards, snakes, and parrots, are more difficult to insure because few companies provide this service. But it is worth checking out.