Gin is a colourless flavoured liqueur made up of purified spirits gathered from the mashed-up juniper berries. Drinks made up of gin can be flavoured using lemon, orange peel, spices such as anise, orris root, liquorice root, cardamom, cinnamon, cubeb, almond, saffron, coriander, and nutmeg, amongst others.
Different concentrations of flavours in gin make up different styles of cocktails that should be consumed. They balance the bitter taste of gin and add an extra flavour to the drink. Cassia bark, lime peel, and grains of paradise are other ingredients that spice up Gin-based cocktails.
The light botanical spirit of the gin adds bracing refreshment to every drink. All the sweet and straightforward cocktail recipes, when added with the element of gin, create that extra spark that refreshes both body and spirit.
Martini is one of the most famous gin cocktails. It is made of dry vermouth and gin. Other gin-based drinks include-
- Gimlet- it’s a straightforward drink that is made up of three ingredients. Gin, simple syrup, and lime juice added with basil and cucumber adds a refreshing flavour to the glass.
- El Chapo- this drink is made up of strawberries, grapefruit, Aperol, and gin. The combination of fruits and gin adds a complimentary flavour to the glass.
- Tom Collins- this is a staple drink for summertime as it is light, refreshing, and straightforward to make.
- The Bee’s Knees- has a sour recipe made of gin and a bit of honey.
- Gin Rickey- this drink has its roots dating back to the 19th Century. It is named after Joe Rickey, a democrat living in Washington.
- Singapore Sling- It’s an Asian Gin-based cocktail. The drink was first served at the Raffles hotel in Singapore. It’s a bit complex to make, but the result is worth it.
- Rosie Lee- It is made up of rose petals, lychee, and gin. It is served in a cup of tea.
- Boat House Punch- It is a citrus and bubbly drink made of lemon, orange, and grapefruit.
Nowadays, gin comprises a different range of herbal ingredients that give it a unique style and brand. Gin is most commonly consumed with tonic water.
Popular Gin-based Drinks:
- 20th Century: this drink was created in 1937 by a British bartender. It was named in honour of the 20th-century limited train. It is made up of lemon juice and gin.
- Aviation: it is made of lemon juice, gin, and maraschino liqueur. It is served in a cocktail glass.
- Fallen Angel is made up of Angostura bitters, lime juice, and gin.
- French 75: It is a wine cocktail made of champagne, sugar, and lemon juice.
- Gibson- this drink is made of gin and dry vermouth, garnished with a pickled onion.
Uses Of Gin:
Gin is made up of juniper berries that contain no saturated fats, carbs, and sugar. Earlier it was used for medicinal purposes. Consuming gin in any form helps in digestion and relieves bloating. It has a very low-calorie count.
The taste of gin is bitter so it is not devoured neat, a supplementary drink is mixed up with it to mask the bitter taste of gin. It can be used by mixing up with food as well. Gin and tonic pancakes are very popular.
Consumption of gin is also known to help with joint pains and arthritis. The medicinal properties of juniper berries have been learned to treat various health conditions. The berries also contain flavonoids, which are known to clean clogged arteries. Gin can help with reducing the risk of heart attacks and cardiovascular diseases.