Aptitude test is a computer-based assessment using a series of questions to measure an individual’s ability and potential. It can be used as an intelligence or personality test to gain insight into what type of career the person might be suited for.
They are different from IQ tests in that they measure abilities that have been acquired through learning, experience, and training whereas IQ tests only measure innate intelligence.
The Various Types Of Aptitude Tests :
- Reasoning Tests These assess your thinking process by requiring you to make inferences based on given evidence provided in each question. The more ideas you generate, the better your score will be on this test.
- Numerical Ability Tests These test your ability to reason with numbers, calculate mathematical problems and identify patterns in numerical data. If you score well in this test, you may be good at maths and economics. Consider a career as an accountant or actuary.
- Speed Tests They assess the speed at which information can be processed and used to evaluate your mental alertness, powers of observation and reasoning ability.
- Memory Tests These tests assess the strength of your visual and auditory memory for figures, words and pictures as well as how quickly you can process information from these senses.
- Verbal Ability Tests These tests are used to test your ability to read, write, and speak. They measure your ability to understand written materials and how well you express yourself verbally in order for others to understand information.
- Spatial Ability Tests These tests measure your spatial abilities. They measure the power of your visual perception, mental visualisation and the ability to work with space.
- Mechanical Ability Tests These tests measure your mechanical ability and your proficiency in the use of mathematical or geometric principles to solve problems that involve a variety of practical situations.
- Personality Tests These tests evaluate specific personality traits. They are used to determine how you react to situations, how well you relate to others, and your effectiveness in dealing with stress.
- Aptitude Tests examine an individual’s personal characteristics such as their talents, skills, interests, values and personality traits.
- Problem Solving Tests These tests assess an individual’s capacity for solving problems in the workplace. They measure your ability to utilise a variety of problem solving techniques and skills.
- Psychometric Tests These tests involve you in a series of problem-solving activities designed to test your analytical and mathematical ability, verbal reasoning, and how you think under pressure. They are used by employers to predict how employees will perform on the job, while also predicting their performance relative to other applicants.
Jobs That Require Aptitude Testing:
- Computer Programming Employment is high in the field of computer programming (programming the software that runs computers). Some jobs in this field involve designing algorithms for new company software products or computer games.
- Engineering Employment is high in the fields of engineering and mechanical design. They involve designing and planning from a blueprint using mathematical formulas or procedures to solve practical problems. Some jobs in this field include drafting, blueprint reading, manufacturing, inspection, and research.
- Human Resources Management Many companies require an online aptitude test when hiring employees for human resources jobs. Jobs in this field include: applying for employment opportunities; interviewing for vacant positions; scheduling interviews with candidates; compiling reference information to be sent to potential employers; conducting background checks on new hires; monitoring hiring trends worldwide; designing employee job descriptions; interviewing staff members after they’ve been hired to assess performance levels; making personnel decisions on promotions, demotions and terminations of employees.
- Psychological testing is when a psychologist administers psychological tests to determine the individual’s mental state. This can be used as an aid for diagnosis for mental disorders such as depression, addictions and anxiety.
Benefit of Online Aptitude Test:
With online aptitude testing, people have the option of locating a test site that is convenient to them. They will then see the instructions on their computer monitor while they respond to the questions on their monitor by clicking with a mouse or keyboard depending on what system they are using. Online tests are also convenient because they can be accessed at any time through computers at home or work.
Researchers have conducted countless studies in an attempt to help employers gauge their employees’ level of intelligence with these tests, but they have been found to be inconclusive. To this date, there has not been one study that found any significant correlation between IQ and job performance.
The rise in popularity of online aptitude tests is partly due to the convenience factor for the individual taking it, but also because of their cost-effectiveness when compared with paper-based assessments. Because online tests are cheap and relatively short in length, people can take them multiple times if a particular field of work is new to them or if an employer requests it.
Uses of Online Aptitude Tests
The most common uses of online aptitude tests are in job pre-screening and in employee selection. Job pre-screening is used as a way to reduce the number of applicants who will be subsequently invited to interview for a position. Employment agencies and HR departments use pre-screening, along with other methods such as employment tests, job applications and the recommendation of people who have worked with the applicant in the past. Employers then use a combination of these factors to determine if they will narrow their applicant pool down even further. This helps them to get only the most highly qualified candidates for an interview.
Employers also use online aptitude tests in employee selection; both as a recruitment tool and at work itself. At work, employees will be asked to complete pre-employment tests as a way for their employers to evaluate a job applicant’s talent for specific skill sets. Online testing is also used when employees are already working at a company. In this situation, employers use online tests to determine the employee’s suitability to complete certain tasks. If the employee does not have adequate skill levels in the required areas, they will be given further training or dismissed.
The most common online aptitude tests that are used in selection include maths ability, verbal ability and logic tests as well as numerical reasoning and mechanical reasoning assessment tools. If you are looking for a platform where you can practise these tests then, I will recommend you to use Mercer Mettl. It is one of the most famous software where you can practise the online test. This software is also used by companies to conduct online tests.